Dedicated to the most famous and controversial culture in Ukraine. Trypillian culture has existed since the end of the 6th to the beginning of 3rd millennium BC. It got its name in the early twentieth century by the site of the excavations, that was made by Vikentiy Khvoyka in 1896-1898 near town Trypillia (now – Trypillia village, Obukhov district, Kyiv region).
On May 18, 2018, the renovated hall opened its doors to present an exhibition of Trypillian ceramics from the collection of the PLATAR Historical Heritage Museum.
The exhibits, that were selected for display in the exhibition, show the variety and range of ceramics production during the golden age of Trypillian culture. Different shapes, sizes, method of use, paint and ornament. They tried to reproduce in ceramics everything that surrounded them. Thereby giving us the opportunity to learn about their lifestyles.
Traditions and beliefs
Reflection of the Trypillian temple, an enlarged anthropomorphic female figure and a trinocular vessel convey the sacral world of Trypillians, their beliefs and customs.
The pantheon of the Trypillian gods is still in the process of research, nevertheless the products they created speak to us through time. Beliefs and rituals are reported about people, that had lived on this land for two thousand years before modern civilizations appeared.
From symbols to signs
On ceramics you can see the signs and symbols used by Trypillians during their golden age. Each pot is unique, because it tells its own story through symbols and a form created by a master craftsman. Now we know over 300 signs and blocks of signs that have unfortunately not advanced to writing system.
The excavations reveal thousands of various anthropomorphic and zoomorphic statuettes, which are often found to be broken. Small pots with an altar symbol that can fit in the palm of your hand. And also mysterious binocular vessels with through holes, the value of which still causes debate in scientists.
The sacral world of Trypillians presented in the original exhibition of Trypillian ceramics filled the third hall of the Kiev Regional Archaeological Museum.