Since November 2017, the second hall of the Kyiv Regional Archaeological Museum hosts the exhibition “Flooded Past” – materials of archaeological research near the village Zhovnino.
Zhovnino is a village in Hradiz district, Poltava region, until 1959. Due to the construction of the Kremenchug HPP, it was moved to the southern terrace of the Dnieper. 6 km from its former location, as it fell into the flood zone. Today it is a village of Chornobayiv district, Cherkasy region.
The territory of the old village with a centuries-old history appeared under water.
During the 60s and 70s of the 20th century, the Institute of Archeology of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR conducted exploration and security excavations. Both on the shores of the Kremenchug Reservoir and on the islands, in particular on the territory of the former Zhovnino. Volodymyr Dyadenko, Dmytro Telegin, Lyudmyla Rutkivska, Oleksandr Motsia and others were engaged in the research.
Archaeological excavations have revealed settlements of the Early Iron Age in the Vasyuna tract. Settlements of the Bronze Age, Early Iron Age and Chernyakhiv culture were located on Zhovnyn Island, in its eastern part. And the ancient Rus settlement of the chronicle Zheldy and the Cossack town-fortress Zhovnin. On an island in the waters of the Kremenchug reservoir, before the flood the settlement was located in the central part of the old Zhovnin.
The exhibition “Flooded Past” presents materials of the Bronze Age, Chernyakhiv culture and the Cossacks. Archaeological finds from the excavations of Dyadenko Volodymyr and Rutkivska Lyudmyla in 1963-1973. During a water drop in the Kremenchug Sea at the site of the former Zhovnino and its environs.
Materials provided by the Institute of Archeology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine for temporary exhibition.