To the day of the archaeologist from August 15, 2018 Kyiv Regional Archaeological Museum presented photomaterials and finds from excavations in 1976-1988. From the Trypillian settlement Maidanetske, Talniv district, Cherkasy region.

Maidanetske is a settlement of the Trypillia culture (Tomashiv group), the first half 0f IV millennium BC. It was first discovered and studied by B. Bezvenglinsky in 1927.


Settlement plan of Maidanetske

Thanks to aerial photographs of 1964-1966, K. Shishkin deciphered the settlement in this area of about 200 hectares. In 1971-1974 V. Dudkin  conducted archaeological and magnetometric studies, on the basis of which the settlement plan was investigated. According to the total number of inhabitants was 1575, located in four elliptical ring zones, which indicates the presence of 6-10 thousand population.

Resumed research in 2011 and geomagnetic survey of the settlement plan by a joint Ukrainian-German expedition (the Roman-German Commission of the German Institute of Archeology – representative by K. Rasemana and the Institute of Archeology of the NAS of Ukraine – representative by M. Videiko) confirmed the plan of V. Dudkin. But found a larger number of inhabitants, which turned out to be not 1575, but 2900, which makes it one of the largest Eneolithic settlements in Europe.

Archeological research

Maidanetske was studied by the Trypillian complex expedition led by M. Shmagli in 1972-1980 and the Trypillian expedition of the Institute of Archeology of the USSR Academy of Sciences in 1983-1991. The research involved employees of the Institute of Archeology of NASU: N. Burdo, M. Videiko, S. Ryzhov and others.

Under the leadership of M. Shmagli, the remains of 34 buildings were studied – residential and commercial, including two-storied. Excavation materials are also stored in the scientific funds of the Institute of Archeology of NASU and exhibited in the National Museum of History of Ukraine, the Archaeological Museum of the Institute of Archeology of NASU, Cherkasy Regional Archaeological Museum, Talniv Museum of the History of Agriculture.

A joint Ukrainian-German expedition resumed archeological excavations in 2013 (University of Kiel, Germany and the Institute of Archeology of NASU). Further research was also conducted in 2014 and 2016 (joined by researchers from the Archaeological Research Institute of Kyiv University named after B. Hrinchenko). During which, according to the results of geomagnetic survey, there were excavated the remains of several two-storey dwellings, a multi-channel pottery kiln, pits. And the remains of a public building measuring about 10×20 m were excavated and investigated traces of fortifications – one of the ditches from palisades. It is also established that the settlement did not exist for 50-70 years, as previously thought, but for about 200 years and was rebuilt at least twice.